Wednesday 3 June 2015

Author Wednesday

Hello everyone, I hope you like todays author Hayden Linder

BIO: I have done several jobs over the years but currently I am a 40 something year old PC Tech. I have a lovely daughter, Kyle, by my ex-wife and four beautiful children, Chuy, Vivian, Felix and Lalo by my long suffering wife Ruby. I spend most of my time being grateful for the life God gave me and trying to be a blessing to those around me.

The Hand Of Death - 
In the mythical land of Giapan, most young boys dream of becoming brave samurai or 


great masters of magic, the Onmyoji, who can heal as well as engulf cities in flame with but a 



gesture. But not Shotoku Hiro. Hiro only wanted to see the city outside the walls of the castle. 



To see what went on somewhere, anywhere other than the samurai district of Shiro Goemon. 



And once he worked up the courage to actually do that... no one could have guessed where it 



would take him. 



The Hand of Death is a Fantasy novel set in a land not unlike feudal Japan. The story 



follows a young boy's journey as the only son of a distinguished samurai who is pushed onto 



the path of Ninjutsu. A path that, in the golden land of Giapan, can lead to some very 



frightening places. And Giapan is nothing if not frightening.



You can buy the book here

Read the first three chapters here

Where you can find Hayden 


I was lucky to ask Hayden a few questions and he was more than happy to answer them, and I hope that you enjoy seeing what he says.

Q: What inspired you to write your first book? 

A: I had all of these daydreams in my head about me being this big tough ninja. Yes, I know it sounds juvenile. But it's what I daydreamed about to pass the time. One day I realized that had so many of these situations and conversations in my head that I needed to put them into a book. Mostly just so I could STOP thinking about them.

Q: Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

A: Yes actually. Stand for something more than just yourself.

Q: What are your current projects?

A: This is the first book of a trilogy. I have about 70% of the rough draft for book 2 finished and about a fifth of the rough draft for book 3 so I ma currently trying to finish those two. After that I will be working on a Sci-Fi novel about mercenaries in the far future where every character has a mental or emotional issue of some kind but they have to depend on each other to survive.

Q: What was the hardest part of writing your book?
A: Drumming up the courage to actually finish it.

Q: Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it? 

A: An editor is not optional. They are a must! Even if you ARE an editor you still need a second set of eyes to check your work because we become numb to obvious issues in the grammar of the story when we are writing. You see the same mistake you've made hundreds of times over and your mind just blanks it out like it isn't there.

Q: Do you have any advice for other writers?
A: Let the story tell you where it wants to go and have the courage to follow it.

Q: Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers? 

A: I'd love to hear their thoughts on the story once they've had a chance to read it.

Q: Do you ever experience writer's block? 

A: No. But I get a ton of writers "fatigue." Although that may be due to my four children at home... Now, I'm tired just thinking about going home.

Q: Do you write an outline before every book you write? 

A: Absolutely not. I'm not knocking anyone who uses that method. I am very happy it works for them but my brain just doesn't work that way. When it comes to simple tasks, lists and outlines work well for me but if what I am doing is creative in any way then they just destroy any life I try to bring to the subject.

Q: While you were writing, did you ever feel as if you were one of the characters? 

A: Oh Yeah! Hiro is the man I wish I was.

Q: What are your expectations for the book? 

A: ...A movie? I think this story would be perfect for the Oprah Network:)

Q: If your latest book were chocolate, what kind would it be and why?

A: Meiji's Strawberry chocolate. Because first and foremost it is Japanese and second, it just sounds really tasty.

Q: Tell us about your main character’s psyche or personality. What led him to be the person he is today?

A: "Shotoku Hiro" is goal oriented. He is driven to do what is best for his House, the Koga House, no matter how ugly that gets. His personality would be akin to the Grim Reaper sitting next to you and telling you dirty limericks. I think what made him this way was the sense of responsibility he got from his father with a desire to enjoy humor and sarcasm whenever he could because his world is very brutal.

Q: Do you hope that you reader finish your book and have a certain feeling towards that characters?

A: I would hope that the characters were believable. That the bad guys were NOT completely evil and the good guys were not always good.


Hayden was amazing to do this interview and to top that off he was happy to do a giveaway to for a copy of his book.
So to win a copy of The Hand Of Death ask a question any question that you would like Hayden to answer.
And as Hayden was so nice, who ever asks the best question will get an advance copy of chapter one from book two. If you ask my that is amazing so readers get asking.

Love Pavan

2 comments:

  1. Are you working full time at a job away from home and if so how do you manage your time? Even if not, how do you discipline yourself and close off the world?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. Not seeing my reply so I will risk this doing a double post and hope for the best.
      Hi Dawn, I work an "almost" full time job. I get thirty hours a week doing an overnight weekend shift for a call center. I would not describe my "technique?" as disciplined. I pretty much have to force my self to write. As I find dreaming about the material much more fun than actually writing it. One of my many short comings. But, I have found you can do anything if you just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

      Delete