Monday 27 April 2015

Happy Vaisakhi

I started this blog to let everyone know about my book, but I was thinking about it and thought that I would also like my reader to know about me, things I do at the weekend, what things I bake, TV shows I have been watching. I think that this would be a great place for you all to get to know the person behind the words of Moving On.


This weekend is always a special one for me. On Sunday it was the Birmingham Vaisakhi Mela. Vaisakhi fall on April 14th.

For anyone that doesn't know about this festive I thought i would add a little here for you :-

The Sikh Holiday of Vaisakhi is celebrated every year on April 14. Also frequently spelled Baisakhi, Vaisakhi has origins as a springtime festival in the Punjab region, but since 1699 has taken on a great deal of religious significance for Sikhs. On Vaisakhi in that year, Guru Gobind Singh created the Khalsa and established much of what is at the core of the Sikh faith today.

I have been going to this festive since I was a little girl and I used to go with my grand dad, and now I go with my husband and love it just as much as I did when I was little.

The event starts at Smethwick Gurdwaras and we walk to Handworth Park. I have put a map so that you can see the route that we go.




From start to finish it took use about 3 hours, and i was tried at all. As you walk a religious pray is done, and you can hear it. This walk for me and my husband is a very peace event and I am blessed to go every year.
This is a picture that I took.

Once you arrive at Handworth park, there is rides for children and a few for adults but not many, and they have stalls that all sell different things that have to do with Sikhism, T-shirts, books, cds, dads etc...

I can't wait to go again next year.

Love Pavan xx

No comments:

Post a Comment